Friday, April 6, 2007

on the road again

leaving DC.

It was one of the best stops so far. We got to meet Amy, see the sights, stay a while with Liz, and see the cherry blossom festival. what more could we ask for. oh, and the food. I do believe Liz provided us with the best food so far on the trip. no one knew this but our stops are being rated, and Liz was rated very very high. but those ratings are very secret, so y'all will never know. sorry.

the drive to NY was uneventful, just slow. lots of traffic. and tolls. we spent around $12 driving from DC to NY on tolls. ridiculous. I did the driving, something I dislike doing. but poor Sam was sick. or so he claimed. after 4-5 hours of driving we found our hostel, checked in, grabbed our stuff and hit the beds. both pretty tired. it was cold and rainy. really cold. we were sharing the room with 6 ppl, straggling in at all hours of the night. it was our first time in a hostel, which made it interesting. our room had 4 pairs of bunk beds in it. I only talked to 1 of the people we shared the room with. that was Rick from CA, he said he was a snorer and I should feel free to wake him up if it got loud. what he didn't mention was he's a talker too. he did snore, quite loud, but talked more. all night. didn't keep me up tho, I went to bed about 12:30 and didn't wake up until 7, from 7-10 was on and off sleeping.
in the morning, we got up, checked out, and went to get breakfast, (McDonald's, breakfast of losers.) after that we headed down on the subway, which btw, are far inferior to DC's subway system. DC's is spacious, clean, well lit, fast, etc. NYC's was cramped, dirty, and dark. anyway, we hit the Staten Island Ferry, saw Lady Liberty, came back, saw the former site of the Twin Towers, drove back up here, had our second meal of the day, once again at McDs. then we went and found our other hostel, since the last didn't have any rooms. we didn't originally plan to stay 2 nights, but we couldn't leave for New Hampshire cause of bad weather. anyway, this hostel was cheaper, and had a free breakfast, (which I did not wake up for.) not as nice of rooms, 12 ppl instead of 8, guys and girls this time. but still nice enough compared to the car. and less then 1/4th what you'd would spend for a hotel in NYC.

in the morning we got up, showered, checked out, and walked back to the car to decide what to do. Sam kinda wanted to head to Boston, while I wanted to see more of NYC. I asked him what was in Boston, and he could only name Paul Revere and a Tea Party. that settled it for me, I was gonna see NYC. we drove over to the other side of Central Park, which turned out to be a terrible idea. there was zero parking over there. none. we drove around for a while looking, and finally Sam just dropped me off to go walk Central Park while he kept looking. while I was walking, I found Alice in Wonderland, which was cool. I found Balto, which I got really excited about. I'm not sure why, but I really wanted to see Balto. Balto to me was about the same as seeing Lincoln in DC. as y'all can see in the pictures, Balto's back is rubbed golden because so many people like to climb up on him. I felt this was beneath me, so I did the next best thing. I rubbed his nose for luck. it's a tradition, children have been doing it for ages. or so I hear. it all felt very solemn. I like Balto. he's cool. oh and btw, if you DON'T know who Balto is, think about hurting yourself. slap yourself in the head, fall down some stairs. something. cause you're retarded. at least go watch the Disney movie Balto. not to be confused with Balto 2. that came later. as seen by the 2. which comes after the original. yeah.
anyway, then I went and saw Cleopatra's Needle. it's an obelisk. from Egypt. I learned about it by wikipediaing it. so you can too. :P but it's the oldest monument in Central Park, and some say the Nation. no idea if that's true, but sam said it, so it's prolly not. but then again, seeing as they, (there's more the one, one's in London, one's in Paris, and the last of course, is in NYC,) were originally erected in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis , around 1450 BC, I'm going to say that they're prolly at least the oldest in the area. :P

after seeing these, I met back up with sam, who had a crazy story of almost dying in Time Square, which he never actually told me. after that we left NYC, and traveled to New Hampshire, to Allison and Don's where we are now. quite a few inches of snow on the ground here. all fell last night. sam tried to make snow angels but it didn't' really work. I did hit him in the head with some snow tho. that's all I got for now. pray that sam will post the next one. if I can ever convince him. see ya.

remember to check out our pictures. there's a link on the right side of the page. or here.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

andy!! make sam tell us about his near-death experience!! sam, ARE YOU READING THIS? you have to tell. =P

Anonymous said...

New York would be cool,but of COURSE there's no parking... hence why most people in the city don't own cars and walk or take taxis. I can't beleive though you wouldn't let Sam go to Boston!! Boston!! It is the oldest, and considered the most signifigant city in the US. So many battles took place there, so many historic events, and back when it was first established, it was the busiest, and most important colony. It was a "Crown Colony", meaning that it was claimed by the King and Queens of England and Scotland, WIlliam and Mary. It was the wealthiest colony, as well as the first to create a school, and later a colege, Harvard. Boston has so much history in it, another place I'd like to see after I've finished exploring every inch of Virginian history.

Sarah said...

good call about staying in NYC another day. i mean when will you ever get the chance to go there again?

Megan Elisabeth said...

You guys are rating the places you stay?? Ohcrap. :p and Boston rocks. One of the few important places I've actually been.

Mary-Beth said...

thanks. I'm retarded. and I should fall down stairs and hurt myself. thanks, hun.

Anonymous said...

ooooh. I got all warm and fuzzy after reading this post and the one above it from Sam.

Anonymous said...

andy. have i ever told you how WEIRD you are? :P